Countless individuals nationwide have found themselves in a role of providing senior care for an older family member, and although serving as a family caregiver is extremely satisfying in many ways, the everyday tasks involved with senior care can come to be monotonous for both the caregiver and the senior. Live Well at Home by Eskaton, providers of the trained and experienced senior care Sacramento area residents need, wants to help you put the fun back in your loved one’s daily life. All it takes is a bit of inventiveness! Try some of these suggestions to help brighten your loved one’s day and make daily senior care more interesting:
These suggestions can add some style and fun to dressing, laundry, and other tasks:
- Ask the senior to assist with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Use this time to talk about your day, a television show you both like to watch, etc.
- Look at magazines and catalogs and choose fashions you think the other would look good in.
- Make choosing clothes and accessories to wear each day a fun event!
Spice Up Meals
Food is a big part of our culture, family history and traditions, and is associated with many emotions. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Involving the older person in washing/drying dishes.
- Inviting the older adult to provide assistance in making a traditional family recipe.
- Enjoying meals outside when weather allows.
Try Something New
There’s always something new to be learned, and no better time than the present to explore a new hobby or pursue a goal. There are numerous virtual classes available, with some geared especially to older adults and offering lower (or no-cost) rates. Look for possibilities to learn:
- A new language.
- How to play a musical instrument.
- Skills like sewing, cooking, gardening, sculpting – the options are limitless!
Live Well at Home’s senior care experts understand that providing care for an elderly loved one can be both gratifying and overwhelming, and we want you to know that you are never alone. As providers of the trusted senior care California seniors deserve, we offer friendly companionship, personal care services such as bathing, dressing, and grooming assistance, and encouragement to participate in a variety of fun activities for seniors.
Call our care team at 800-478-1209 to learn more about the at home care Sacramento and surrounding area families recommend most. To learn more about the other areas we serve in California, please visit our Service Area page.