It’s well known that a wholesome diet is essential for a healthy body. What some people don’t understand, though, is that as we get older, our dietary needs change. Researchers at Tufts University have developed the MyPlate formula, an upgrade on the previous food pyramid, which includes updated and improved dietary advice for healthy eating for seniors.
The MyPlate for Older Adults model underscores the significance of foods that are high in vitamins and minerals and low in fat, salt and sugar; however, it also includes instructions regarding advised routine physical activities and fluid intake, factors that are of specific concern for older adults.
As a result of diminished activity, seniors tend to require fewer calories as they age, but their bodies still require the same or higher levels of nutrients and regular activity for optimal health. MyPlate for Older Adults advises focusing nutrition on:
- Brightly-colored vegetables such as broccoli and carrots
- Deep-colored fruits, like peaches and berries
- Whole, enriched and fortified grains and cereals, including brown rice
- Low- and non-fat dairy products such as yogurt and low lactose milk
- Liquid vegetable oils, and soft spreads that are low in trans and saturated fats
- Spices to take the place of salt
- Fluids such as water and fat-free milk
- Physical activity, such as walking, resistance training, and light housecleaning
Furthermore, advised modifications include utilizing bags of frozen pre-cut vegetables that can be resealed, and single-serve portions of canned fruit – options that can be more convenient to prepare and have a longer shelf life, decreasing waste.
At Live Well at Home, we know how tricky it can be to help senior loved ones eat right and maintain optimal health. Our dedicated Sacramento caregivers can help plan and prepare healthy, nutritious, and delicious meals based on your loved one’s unique nutritional needs. Contact us to learn more about how we provide the kind of elder care Sacramento families prefer most! To learn more about other cities we serve in California, visit our Service Area page.