When using the services of a professional caregiver for a senior loved one, there are a range of options available to families, and it’s important to thoroughly research and ask the appropriate questions to make sure you obtain the highest level of care. Live Well at Home provides the following list of questions you can have in front of you when contacting home care agencies, to ensure that you’re making an informed decision about senior home care services for someone you love:
- Service listing. Does the agency provide services specific to your loved one’s individual requirements? Is there someone available to provide details on all services, eligibility requirements and funding sources? Is that information easily accessible online or can they send it to you?
- Supervision and training. What professional training and certification does the agency require of its care providers? What level of professional provides supervision for the care? How often do the supervisors oversee the care providers on location to confirm proper care is being provided?
- Documentation and coordination. Are home visits and treatments documented? Do the senior’s loved ones have easy access? Will the agency collaborate with the older person’s physician to provide a coordinated plan of care?
- Length of visits. How often will the care provider visit, and how long does he/she stay during each visit? Does the agency provide care on weekends and evenings? Will the visit allow for time to talk and get to know the senior?
- Care rotation. Is care supplied on a consistent basis by the same caregiver, or is care rotated among different people? If rotated, how often? Will the family receive advance notice when a change is made?
- Do the agency office staff and the direct care provider stay in regular contact? Do they keep you informed of any changes in the older person’s health or plan of care?
- Funding and billing. Are senior home care services covered by Medicare or Medicaid? Will the agency provide written statements describing costs? How often is the care invoiced, if payment is due?
- Special fees. Are there any fees for specialized or extended services? Who is responsible for these expenses? Are payment plans available for any out-of-pocket expenses? Is there someone at the agency who will help with researching all options to pay for care?
We hope that if your senior loved one is in the Sacramento area, you will consider Live Well at Home for your care needs. With years of experience and a complete range of senior home care services – from hourly to around-the-clock companions and everything in between – we offer respite care as well as specialized Alzheimer’s care. We are here for you any time; you can reach us at 916-459-3220 and request a free in-home consultation to learn more about our home care in Sacramento, CA and surrounding areas.