As the famous author Jane Austen said, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for someone with a chronic condition, like multiple sclerosis, comfort is imperative, as is safety. If your loved one has been diagnosed with the illness, the first step in providing excellent multiple sclerosis home care should be to make the appropriate modifications to the home so that it is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, and not a dangerous place.
Multiple sclerosis can make moving around challenging, and because daily activities — including recreational activities — can result in fatigue more rapidly in those with MS, creating specific changes to the home environment can help conserve energy and improve independence.
Some examples include:
- Replace thick carpet with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Put grab bars in the bathroom
- Reposition furniture to widen walkways throughout the home
- Include items in the tub or shower like a handheld showerhead, a slip resistant bath mat and a bathtub seat
- Consider a bed rail to aid with changing sleeping positions
- Replace knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
Live Well at Home can provide home modification recommendations and assist in scheduling modifications to ensure your loved one’s home is a more convenient place for independence. To discover more about our in-home care services in Sacramento, CA, contact us online or call us at 916-459-3220. Our in-home care from expert caregivers can help individuals remain in the comfort of their home, with the necessary care to improve quality of life.