There is currently a top priority for hospitals: decreasing readmissions for patients who are at high risk. Healthcare Financial Management Association’s article “Two Ways Hospitals Can Reduce Avoidable Readmissions” reports that effective initiatives from hospitals with lower 30-day rehospitalizations are, to a certain degree, the outcome of collaborating with inpatient and outpatient care providers, like Live Well at Home, who can supply a continuum of home care for elderly people.
The hospitals cited in the article shared the recommendations below to help decrease rehospitalizations:
- Begin preparing for a patient’s discharge from a hospital visit on the day he or she is admitted. When an older person is hospitalized, contact a home care agency, like Live Well at Home, to schedule in-home care upon discharge. Patient outcomes are improved when home care services are initiated as early as possible following discharge.
- Identify patients who are at a higher risk for difficulties after discharge for additional care coordination and/or case management services. (Make sure social workers visit all patients age 80 and over to provide assistance with care needs.)
- Use technology to assess, track, or refer patients.
- Conduct an extensive evaluation of the patient’s care needs, risk factors, available resources, understanding and management of the disease or health condition, and degree of family support.
At Live Well at Home, top providers of in-home elderly care in Sacramento, CA and other surrounding areas, we know how important it is to develop a transitional plan of care in order to minimize the risk of hospital readmissions for senior loved ones. We help seniors plan for care needs starting on day one of their hospital visit, monitoring their health and making certain that care plans are put in place as soon as they return home. Contact us at 916-459-3220 or complete our online contact form to learn more about how we can help those you love transition from hospital to home through professional home care services like:
- Supplying training and help with chronic disease management
- Medication reminders so they are taken exactly as prescribed
- Help with coordination and balance
- And many more
Avoid an unnecessary follow-up hospital visit. Partner with Live Well at Home for assistance and learn more about our home care in Carmichael, CA and surrounding communities. For a full list of the areas we serve, visit our Service Area page.