Very often, families assume that as long as their loved one is covered by Medicare, covering the cost for care at home isn’t an issue to which they need to give consideration. Regrettably, this is a common misconception. As we shared in a previous blog post, most people use private funds in paying for care at home. There are a couple of possibilities to investigate for veterans and their spouses, however. Providing the best in-home caregivers in Sacramento CA, Live Well at Home outlines the details to help those who have served in the military access all of the resources available to them to pay for care at home.
The first program to explore is the Veterans’ Aid and Attendance program, which helps wartime veterans and/or their spouses with paying for care at home, as long as they meet the particular qualifications required to receive these benefits. The person applying must:
- Have received an honorable or general discharge
- Have physician’s orders stating he or she needs the aid and assistance of others daily
- Meet specific financial requirements
- Have served one day during an active war and had no less than 90 days of service
- Be the surviving spouse of a veteran to obtain spousal benefits
Certain veterans may also qualify for Housebound to cover the cost for their care services. Housebound is a benefit that is paid over and above a monthly pension. Veterans who are eligible for Housebound benefits:
- Have one single permanent disability that has been assessed as 100 percent disabling AND, due to such disability, the veteran is permanently and significantly confined to his or her home, OR,
- He or she has one single permanent disability evaluated as 100 percent disabling AND, an additional disability, or disabilities, assessed as 60 percent or more disabling.
Regulations state that veterans may not receive both Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits together, and they must be receiving a monthly pension in order to meet the requirements for either one of these additional benefits.
If you’d like to find out if your senior loved one qualifies for Veterans’ Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits, the leading home care agency in Sacramento CA, Live Well at Home, is always available to work with you to look into all your options for funding the in-home senior care your loved one needs. You can reach us at 916-459-3220 or complete our online contact form to learn more about home care for veterans and the help available to pay for care at home.