The holidays are full of festivities, parties, gatherings, and celebrations. Nonetheless, for an older loved one, holiday outings require a little additional planning. Follow these pointers from Live Well at Home’s Roseville senior care experts in order to savor fun and relaxed outings with loved ones of all ages this season.
Before leaving the home, consider:
- The amount of walking involved, and if there is parking nearby
- Whether the destination is flat or has hills or stairs to climb
- If there will be wheelchair access (if appropriate)
- Whether you’ll be able to find cover and shade
- Whether there are toilet facilities
- Whether there are chairs or benches available in case the elderly person needs a rest
Make sure to prepare for a wide array of possibilities:
- Have all the medications needed and take an extra supply, in the event the outing lasts longer or unexpectedly changes
- Have appropriate clothing along with sun and rain protection
- Have something to eat and drink, in case of a delay
Need some holiday outing ideas that older adults will enjoy? Take a look at the following:
- Take a leisurely family drive to look at the local city holiday lights
- If the senior is open to the idea, invite him or her to join in decorating your home (or decorate the senior’s home together) and enjoy some holiday tea and cookies together afterward.
- Help your senior loved one go to a holiday celebration especially for seniors at a local senior center
- Attend local and community plays; besides the local theater or ballet, you will find affordable performances and shows at local schools
Having a joyous holiday season is easy with a little help from family and some dedicated senior care experts! Whatever activities you participate in this holiday season, take things slow and create an environment that is relaxed to ensure your loved one is comfortable and happy. Live Well at Home can help your family by enhancing your senior loved one’s independence while providing excellent care during the holiday season and throughout the rest of the year! Contact us to find out more.