Keeping up with the different medical appointments, procedures, tests, prescriptions, lifestyle adjustments, and more is a way of life for the numerous seniors with chronic health care needs. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 85% of seniors have at least one chronic health condition, and 60% are diagnosed with two or more. The difficulties can seem overwhelming. But there is one helpful element to properly handling a chronic health condition: care management for seniors.
Medical diagnoses like diabetes, COPD, heart disease, and others are life-changing. They impact a senior’s emotional as well as physical wellness, and it’s essential to enlist help in meeting all care needs. Care managers, also referred to as aging life care specialists, are skilled professionals with competence in addressing all of the varied care needs of older individuals.
Here’s how care management works:
A preliminary, in-depth evaluation, conducted in the older adult’s home, allows the care manager to uncover the senior’s particular concerns and challenges. The care manager will assess cognitive, physical, nutritional, and mental acuity, in addition to the overall safety of the home environment. With all of this in mind, a personalized plan of care is then developed.
The older adult’s individualized care plan will typically include a wide range of recommendations, like:
- Education as needed to improve chronic disease management
- Referrals to community resources
- How to confirm that meds and other care needs are managed effectively
- Home alterations to improve safety and reduce falls
- And more
Carrying out the plan may involve, as appropriate:
- Coordinating and collaborating with the older person’s health care team and network of support
- Problem-solving to overcome any obstacles to appropriate care and management of health conditions
- Advocating for the older person
- Mediating through any difficult family dynamics
- Serving as the “eyes and ears” for loved ones living at a distance
- Assisting with documentation for long-term care insurance or other essential paperwork
- Accompanying the senior to doctors’ appointments to ensure doctors’ orders are understood and adhered to
- Legal guardianship
- And many others
At Live Well at Home, the leading providers of home care assistance in Carmichael and surrounding areas, we’re pleased to provide professional care management for seniors in conjunction with our dependable in-home care services, to best address the various chronic care needs of older adults.
Discover the relief our care management services offer. Call us today for a complimentary in-home consultation and help a senior you love enjoy a healthier, safer, and more independent lifestyle. We’re available any time at 916-459-3220 to share more about our care management and home care in Carmichael and the surrounding areas.