Background noises, fast talkers and mumblers — these conditions and more make it problematic for someone with hearing loss to participate in group conversations, and may cause him or her to be left out entirely. People without hearing loss have to recognize this challenge and remember to speak clearly, facing the older adult.
For the senior dealing with hearing loss, the strategies below can help:
- Tell the people you’re with that you have hearing loss; that way they know to adjust their speech, face you when they’re talking, or make other accommodations to help keep you in the discussion.
- Sit or stand in such a way that you can see the faces of all those who are speaking.
- Turn away from noise or other background disturbances.
- Ask people to repeat themselves when necessary or repeat back the part of the message that you understood with a request for the speaker to repeat whatever part was unclear. (For example, “Where did you go?” “Who was it that called you last week?”)
- Use what you already know about the speaker to help provide clues on what is going on in the conversation, such as the individual’s interests or lifestyle.
- Stay informed about current events.
- Ensure you are well-rested before participating in an occasion where you will be listening to a lot of conversation.
It is beneficial to know that hearing aids today can usually compensate for the majority of hearing loss in those with diminished hearing, and surgical procedures may be something for the senior to consider. Check with the individual’s medical professional to discover whether any of the latest solutions may help, and contact Live Well at Home of Sacramento for assistance as well. We offer skilled, experienced, in-home care for seniors with hearing loss as well as any other issues of aging, enabling older adults to remain safe, independent and thriving at home through services such as:
- Accompanied transportation to health-related appointments and procedures, visits with family and friends, and fun excursions
- Errand-running to pick up food items, prescriptions, or any other required items
- Light housekeeping and meal preparation
- Friendly, nurturing companionship to participate in favorite interests and hobbies, conversations, exercising, etc.
- Personal care, including, as appropriate, help with hygiene and bathing, getting dressed, ambulation and transferring, etc.
- And much more
Connect with us at 916-459-3220 to schedule a free in-home consultation with our Sacramento elder care experts and take the first step in boosting quality of life for your senior loved one.