It doesn’t matter if you are trying to tune a guitar, learn a brand new language, or simply add cats’ ears to a selfie, there is an app for that! And for seniors who decide to age in place, technology may very well be an essential component in boosting safety, comfort, and overall wellbeing.
Take Amazon’s Alexa, for example. Whereas its current benefits for older adults are numerous, like the ability to track sugar levels, make healthcare appointments, and research information relating to a certain medical condition, it’s actually positioned to dig even further within the health care arena – perhaps even detecting heart attacks and helping doctors get precise diagnoses.
Below are some additional technology solutions and apps for older adults you might want to consider:
- Home Security: A motion-detecting security system offers peace of mind pertaining to crime prevention, but frequently can do much more; for example, warning when detecting smoke, broken glass, or temperatures in the home which are typically too high or low, simply to name a few. They’re also beneficial for people diagnosed with dementia who might be vulnerable to wandering, to alert to an older adult’s activities close to the house.
- Telehealth: Save a visit to your physician’s office by utilizing one of many different apps that allow for remote consultations from board-certified physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists, a lot of whom are available 24 hours a day, seven days per week.
- Fall Prevention: One of the leading contributors to older adult falls is poor lighting. Smart lights use motion detection to increase lighting in locations of particular concern, such as between the bedroom and bathroom, or on exterior walkways, when triggered by a person’s movement.
- Fraud Protection: Senior con artists are persistent and continuously evolving their strategies. Older adults can boost security through apps that keep an eye on financial activity and neighborhood crime activity, reduce robocalls, identify any usage of a person’s Social Security number, and so much more.
- Health Care: Multiple health care needs can now be met from the comfort of home, such as video chats with doctors to avoid a visit to the office, prescription ordering, and medication management to make sure meds are taken at the proper times and in the correct doses.
Contact Live Well at Home for even more advice on enhancing life at home for seniors – whether with technology, our professional in-home care assistance, or both! We are always here to help explain technological options, and to provide the tried-and-true, hands-on assistance in the home that enables aging parents to live their very best lives. Call us now at 800-478-1209 for an in-home consultation and discover how we provide the kind of services for memory care Fair Oaks, CA, families prefer most! To learn more about all of the areas we serve in California, please visit our Service Area page.